A LITTLE ABOUT ME
Hi! I’m Amanda and I’m a runner. Here’s the Coles Notes version of my running story.
In 2011, I was out of shape, smoking, ate whatever I wanted and was always tired. I knew I had to make a change. I started running using a “couch to 5k” program and ran my first 5k in the fall of 2011. In 2014 I took a year off running to let an injury heal and to avoid surgery.
A family member passed away from complications of lung disease on December 24th, 2014. This loss coupled with my eagerness to get back into training pushed me to quit smoking and had me fired up to run my first half marathon in the fall of 2015.
Fast forward to May 2017, I ran my first marathon, the Tamarack Ottawa Race Weekend Marathon. I finished in 4:16, which was my “Plan C – just finish” goal. I haven’t decided when I will run my next marathon, but I will be training to run it under four hours. I’ve learned that the marathon is a funny thing. You can train all you want but a lot can happen in 42.2 kilometers. It’s a very humbling experience. I’ve learned a lot about myself and where to tweak my training to be a stronger runner.
I’m currently enrolled with the North American Academy for Sport Fitness Professionals to get my run coach certification to help others with their running goals.
- My favorite distances are the 10k and half marathon
- I once came in 3rd female overall in a 5k, and 2nd female overall in a trail race
- I have never lost any toenails
- My favorite post-race meal is a plate of nachos and a cold beer, which explains my Instagram handle @irunfornachos
- I really enjoy eating. Food is fuel and it’s ok to “treat yo self” from time to time
- I like craft beer. I’m a big fan of Dominion City Brewery and Muskoka Brewery
- I have the most patient husband in the world. When I get “hangry” I turn into the She-Hulk and it’s not pretty but he loves me anyway, or so he says. My husband always comes to the rescue!
- Our rescue dog, Lucky, is pretty cool. His best bud is a female cat named Oscar
Goals for the 2017 season
- 10k under 50 minutes
- Half marathon under 1:50
- Cross the finish line alive in my first OCR – Spartan Super
Road Running PRs
- 5k: 25:58
- 10k: 50:01
- Half Marathon: 1:54
- Marathon: 4:16
Trail Running PRs
- 10k: 1:22